|La Guardia Calls Upon Nation For Scrap Aluminum, 1941/06/26|
(1) "Washington, DC: Nation-wide drive to collect scrap aluminum is announced by Civil Defense Chief La Guardia, who urges all citizens to doneate old pots and pans for campaign starting in July." sound of La Guardia speaking and asking for old aluminum to make planes. (2) "Washington, DC: The Capitol's largest family, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. White and 17 of their 18 children, purchase defense stamps en masse...
|Labor Merger. AF of L and CIO Join Forces, 1955/12/05|
(1) NY meeting of CIO and AFL for merger, Walter Reuther and George Meany, and Ike from his office speaks (Ike's voice over pictures of the convention) (2) largest jet helicopter unveiled (3) British jet transport Comet 3 (4) Conant rejects Berlin change (5) Modern Screen awards (6) orange cow in NY with bathing beauties for PR stunt (7) Arthur the robot built by high school youth (8) sports: Rams vs Colts football (complete newsreel)
|Landings On Okinawa, 1945/04/09|
(1) "Conferences at Guam ended, Pacific Fleet Commander, Admiral Nimitz sends an armada of 1,400 vessels to Okinawa in the Ryukus. En route, the men of the new U.S. 10th Army stage their own deck entertainment, and secure their issue of invasion money. Land sighted, the big guns of the fleet bark into action, and tons of rockets are sped shoreward. Landing craft race in, and unopposed landings are made...
|Landslide for Eisenhower, 1956/11/08|
(1) Ike votes in Gettysburg, Adlai Stevenson votes in Illinois, Ike speaks (2) "Last Stand. Hungarians Fight On As Thousands Flee" - fighting in streets of Budapest, flags burn, refugees flee to Austrian border, sad crying faces (3) San Francisco airport, Japanese women board plane (4) Santa Claus arrives in flying saucer in Pennsylvania (5) Fashion Parade - ski resort fashions (6) football: Rams vs Bears (complete newsreel).
|Laos Crisis. Kennedy-Gromyko Voice Peace Hopes, 1961/03/27|
Laos crisis brings Macmillan to meet JFK; Gromyko arrives at White House, pose with JFK, Gromyko speaks to the press in Russian, translated into English, speaks about Laos and policy of neutrality; Gromyko responds in English to reporters questions (partial newsreel).
|LBJ Hears Graham, 1965/08/30|
Houston Astrodome used for Billy Graham revival attended by LBJ (partial newsreel).
|Legionnaires Cheer Roosevelt As He Issues New 'Call To Colors', 1933/10/02|
Chicago: Stirring scenes as the president addresses the members of the American Legion from the same platform on which he accepted the nomination to office, telling them that disabled ex-soldiers could expect greater benefits from the government in the future but that other veterans would not be accorded special privileges over other citizens because of their war records. Sound of FDR speaking. (partial newsreel)
|Lend-Lease Bill Passed, 1941/03/11|
"Washington, DC: Epochal scenes in the Senate chamber, following passage of the much-debated bill to aid England. Spokesmen of opposing factions comment on the outcome!" (speech sound) (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 998 (1 review)
|Liberation Of France Forges On, 1944/07/18|
"Independence Day in Europe - In France, General Eisenhower observes General Bradley fire a giant howitzer which signals our massed artillery into a massed cresendo of fire. Behind the lines, the French string 'Welcome' signs all over, improvise American flags, and a choral group of French children sing 'America.' They love our mow-oon-tains. Canadians Advance - After a well earned rest, following the landing battles in Normandy, the Canadians return to the thick of the fighting at Cariquet...
Downloads: 8,068 (4 reviews)
|Life-Line To China Re-Opened, 1945/02/12|
(1) "Ledo Road ('Pick's Pike') Opens - After many had failed on the Ledo Road project, the task was assigned to Brig. Gen. L. A. Pike, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army. He constructed the 478 mile road, through mountain junbles, across swamps, spanning 400 streams or rivers and solving every conceivable kind of engineering problem. "The first convoy, made up of 100 trucks, loaded with supplies for China, sets out, with Gen...
|Light Tanks Show Their Prowess In Battle Maneuvers, 1938/11/02|
(1) "Fort Meade, MD: Mechanical monsters of the 66th U. S. Infantry (Light Tanks) sweep everything before them as they advance through smoke and shell fire to the attack. A thrilling sight, from daylight to dark, as the 'battle wagons' roll along." (2) Seabiscuit Wins match Race - "Pimlico, MD: The horse racing classic of the Century! War Admiral, the favorite, is beaten by three lengths as C. S. Howard's West Coast wonder horse takes the sensational match race that thrills 40,000 fans." (some p...
|Lindberghs Fly North On Epic Ocean Trip To Blaze New Air Route, 1933/07/10|
"North Beach Airport, NY: Taking off from the waters of Bowery Bay the Flying Colonel and his wife are seen in unusual pictures on the start of their flight to Greenland to survey a route across the North Atlantic for the Pan American Airways." - no sound. "Freeport, IL: A remarkable screen inverview with Mrs. Caroline Mattern as she receives the report that her son Jimmie is safe and well after being forced down in Siberia on his trip around the world." (partial newsreel)
|Lindberghs in Russia, 1933/10/25|
Moscow, USSR: The famous aviator and his wife are seen in unusual pictures arriving here on their aerial survey and goodwill tour and being greeted by high government officials." - no sound
|Long Way to Go Says FDR, 1943/09/09|
(1) - "Pres. Roosevelt cites Italy's capitulation as a victory for the Italian people, as well as for Gen. Eisenhower, as he officially opens the Third War Loan Drive." includes scenes from Fireside Chat #26 and speech sound announcing Italian surrender (2) Churchill at Harvard - "Harvard confers its coveted degree upon Winston Churchill. In his speech, the Prime Minister pledges that England will march side by side with the U.S...
|Loretta Young Trailer, 1942/11/23|
On location with Loretta Young filming the movie "China," and the actress speaks about Women At War Week begins Nov. 22, a "call to arms for all American women." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,355 (1 review)
|Loving Husband, 1933/10/25|
Bronxville, NY: Remarkable scenes as the guardians of the law enforce a new traffic ordinance that prohibits husbands from bidding an affectionate farewell to their wives before boarding the train for their offices each morning." - no sound
|Loyalty Day, New York City, 1967/05/02|
Loyalty Day parade on Fifth Ave in New York, orig started as counter to communist May Day parades (partial newsreel)
|Loyola Students Compete For Keg, 1933/11/15|
Chicago, IL: Exclusive pictures of a hectic pushball game in which the Freshmen of Loyola University defeat the Sophomores in a wild battle for a prize beer keg, after many players suffer bumps and bruises.
|Lumumba Seized. Followers Threaten New Congo Upheaval, 1960/12/05|
(1) Lumumba returned to Leopoldville in Congo after caputre by soldiers of Mobutu in Africa (2) California - Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin arrive in California, recently married (partial newsreel)
|Lynda And Charles Marriage Takes Place In The White House, 1967/12/12|
(1) LBJ escorts Lynda on wedding day, 1st wedding in White House in 53 years, marries Marine Capt Charles Robb, as Lucy is matron of honor, in brief Episcopalian ceremony, emerge from East Room under arch of swords (2) luxury liner Queen Mary steams up East Coast after 40 day voyage, "the end of an era and a long and gracious career of the Queen Mary" (3) Capetown, South Africa - Dr. Christian Bernard did 1st heart transplant at this hospital on Louis Warshansky (partial newsreel)